Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Will's Wisdom.

“The keys to life are running and reading. When you're running, there's a little person that talks to you and says, "Oh I'm tired. My lung's about to pop. I'm so hurt. There's no way I can possibly continue." You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you're running. You will how to not quit when things get hard in your life. For reading: there have been gazillions of people that have lived before all of us. There's no new problem you could have--with your parents, with school, with a bully. There's no new problem that someone hasn't already had and written about it in a book.”  Will Smith


I remember watching the Kid's Choice Awards when I was like fourteen and hearing Will Smith say this as he accepted his award. It was something that really spoke to me as at the 
time reading and running were two of my favorite things. 


They are still two things I'm sure I really enjoy, but have almost completely cut out of my life. However, as I look back and try to justify it I find zero logical excuses... too busy? too stressed? How much of my day would I really have to sacrifice? And how much of my day is actually spent doing proactive things? The four hours online doing nothing or daydreaming and staring into space? 


My goal this year: to bring these things back into my life, and truly enjoy them as much as I used to. I used to love running and although I rekindled this passion last year by discovering my love for night running, it's unfortunate that this is now completely out of the question, as Ann Arbz has been added to the list of most deadly places!   


However, it's not like I don't have countless other hours in my day...


As we all know I'm super bad at sticking to these goal things. Especially since as soon as classes start I seem to get sucked into this stressful black hole of time management failure and constant exhaustion. 


It's sounds pretty appealing now, though.


Baby. steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment