Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What it takes..

We're currently discussing the topic of colonization in my African Studies class, an evidently unavoidable topic when it comes to duhh continent l'Afrique.

Today we had a debate in regard's to Dubois's essay on the necessity of violence in decolonization. Seeing the obvious reality to his argument, I found it rather hard to accept violence as the only way.

It is clear that a country that was taken by force, must be taken back in the same way, as everything can't involve the exchanging of corn cobs and handshakes and end in a delightfully enchanting meal, such as that which took place with our notably benevolent founder at Plymouth Rock. But it's also true that at some point that violence has to end, and some kind of mutual agreement has to be reached..or maybe I'm wrong...  of course you could just kill everyone off and continue dealing with everyone who disagrees with you in such efficient fashion.

I just see more to decolonization than just one big act of brutality, as some sort of civilization must be established after.. or what happens to the now "colonized"? Legal systems, education? Is it just bang bang your dead, we win, the end. I just feel Dubois is missing the idea of "process" in his so vividly laid out solution.

DISREGARDING ANY OF THAT, I now realize that what I'm actually trying to say is that maybe I need to be in some sense... decolonized. That is taken by force and forced to see the truth, as we all do sometimes.

Maybe I just need someone to rip me out of my bed, force me to stop feeling sorry for myself.. or even better blatantly slap me in the face..

Just give me ten minutes and I'll probably disclaim the above statement and ask you to sympathize with me and to accept the woes and agony that is my life.

PUHLEEZ. GET OVER YOURSELF ALREADY. YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW NOTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment