Wednesday, March 23, 2011

""""Kenya Travel Warning: issued December, 2010. Political unrest has all but vanished, but the US State Department still retains a travel warning for visitors to Kenya in the light of the high incidence of violent crime and possible threat from terrorists. For the most up to date information see the US Embassy web site based in Nairobi. Travelers should avoid the Kenya/Somali border as well as portions of the Lamu district.""""
OKAY so this summer I'm doing an internship through UM abroad in Kenya. It's about a month long and we'll be spending the majority of our time in Meru (Southern Kenya).

However, 800 miles away there's a "travel warning"! Don't get me wrong I am really concerned about the dangers that exist in the continent as a whole. It's not like I'm unrealistic. But We will be in Southern Kenya, SO far away. Many members of my group are not so assured by this. And although I respect them I can't help but believe that it's a bit ridiculous. That's about the same distance from here to New York City. Yet we don't here people freaking out about the fact that we're 800 miles away from the world trade center and at risk for a terrorist attack. Again, I know. It's not the same thing.

but just sayin' AFRICA IS STILL ON FOR ME!


Countdown to Kenya: 80 days!

Countdown to South Africa: 135 days!




Danger!? I laugh in the face of Danger! wahahahah!

No comments:

Post a Comment