1) King Without A Crown- Matisyahu: This has always been one of my favorite songs. He's seriously so talented whether he's beatboxing or just breaking it down. Thank you Phish for Bonnarooing him- if only I coulda been there...life changing fo real!
2) Oh Sweet Nuthin'- The Velvet Underground: THIS SONG: I seriously can't think of a more powerful song; whenever i hear this play I seriously just go into a trance. I've never had a song that's had such an effect on me. I don't even know...Let's just say it brings me there. (Unfortunately they didn't have the original version- My Morning Jacket does justice though :)
3) Ohh Child- The Five Stairsteps: A sad choice, yes. This song goes way back, though. The few memories I have of my dad are of him singing this to me whenever I was upset. And what can I say..it worked.
4) Daughters of the Soho Riots: The National: Ohh how I heart the National. I seen them for the first time at Bonnaroo last summer and it literally put a whole new level of commitment on our relationship. They definitely have some amazing songs, but this one resonates with me the most. So many nights spent on the swing in the summer on repeat...
5) Send Me On My Way- The Roots: Possibly the happiest song in the world! It never fails to put me in a good mood. and Need I say Matilda. As a child I almost loved this movie as much as Lion King- I guess I could really relate to her story...or maybe it was just this song!
6) Changes- Tupac: Ha interesting choice I know. I seriously love this song, though. I remember when Shakita and Dottie lived with us (foster kids) they used to play this all the time. Idk it really brings me back..not to mention he just speaks so much truth.
7) Karma Police- Radiohead: Thom Yorke: I LOVE YOU! Hands down Radiohead is my favorite band- all of their songs, I don't even know. I love this song though! I've quite possibly listened to it over 500 times!
8) I Believe I Can Fly- R Kelly: This song is literally the soundtrack of my childhood. I remember singing it non-stop on the swings at my house. I was also a huge fan of Space Jam!
9) Africa- Toto: Well this one I guess is self-explanatory. Oh Sweet Africa. I remember playing it in class and my teacher telling me the story behind it. From then on...idk. Definitely a favorite.
10) Natalie's Song- Sia: Okay I know what your thinking...It has your name in it of course you love it bitch..but idk maybe that's a part of it. It's just so peaceful. I remember my days on the bus listening to this way too early in the a.m.
11) Can't Go Back Now: The Weepies: Okay so my choices get more depressing from here on out. But God I love the Weepies! The lyrics just speak to me, like fo real I don't even know. I definitely shed many tears to this song...especially this year.
12) The Mixed Tape- Jack's Mannequin: LOVE! Ohh man I remember first hearing them perform on One Tree Hill and I immediately fell in love. Andrew McMahon was fighting his cancer at the time, and woahh. So powerful. My strongest memory is when we first got our four wheeler and I would just blast it on my mp3 going like 80! So close to death, yet so alive!
13) I Shall Believe- Sheryl Crow: SO SAD! I know. But it's definitely been there through everything, there's no way I couldn't include it. I'm crying right now. POWER.
14) Happy Ending- Mika: Okay so Kayla Cabral. I remember when she first played this song for me. 8th/9th grade laying out on her roof. Ohh best friends: That summer is seriously one of my favorites ever. Ohh the crazy things we did. That's probably when I first really started living, which is pretty sad if I think about all we did hahaha. I definitely miss her. The year she moved was one of the hardest for me ever. But even though we've grown apart, my memories with her are some of the best ever. Love You Girl!
15) Breathe (2am)- Anna Nalick: This song! A primary in 10th grade. One of the hardest years of my life by far. I guess it spoke to me...JUST BREATHE. Something I'm still tryin' to learn.
16) Time After Time- Cyndi Lauper: What can I say? This song is a classic. So many good memories. It always puts me in such a great mood. Passenger seat, window down, belting it out. That's happiness right there.
17) Concrete Angel- Martina Mcbride: I know what you're thinking...Depressing? Extremely. Country? I know. But IMPACT! I remember singing to this song when I was like 7 before I even knew what it meant. Singing with Rach on our many road trips to Tennessee. Things seemed so simple, so happy. Ohh the good ol' days :)
18) I swear- All 4 One: Okay so this one has probably been with me the longest. I remember it playing in the car as I was being drove away from my home.. garbage bag in hand. One of the many times, of course. But I remember just staring out the window.. scared for my life, yet singing my heart out. If only I knew how fortunate my future...I would of sang even louder :)
19) Runaway Love- Ludacris ft. Mary J Blige: I know. I would relate to the tortured hard knock life songs... but idk I just remember listening to this song with Felicia all the time. Just coming home from school and hanging with Jayden all day. The video was just so strong. I must of watched it over 50 times. I guess I've always resonated with the afflicted youth. There's just so much I wish I could change...one can hope.
20) Hide and Seek- Imogen Heap: This girl! woahhh. She literally makes me float. I remember listening to this on repeat on one of the super long bus rides in Europe. I just love that songs can bring you back...
21) It's Only Life- Kate Voegele: I thought I'd end on a happy note. I just love the lyrics to this song, and her! Words to live by, truly!
So many other songs that have played such an important role in my life. The power of music never fails to fascinate me... It truly heals.
No comments:
Post a Comment